State Street‎ > ‎

124 State Street

124 State Street
Brockport, N.Y. 

History written by Carol L. Hannan, March 2014 
Photo Credit and Produced by Pamela Ketchum
© Copyright by Carol L. Hannan – March 2014. All rights reserved.


Thomas C. and Mary Williamson Boyd
Owners/builders (?): 1850s to at least 1864 

Our earliest village directories, from 1863 and 1864, contain the names of T. C. and Robert Boyd of 28 State Street. Few homes existed on that section of State Street in the early 1860s, as the area was surrounded by a steam mill, lumber yard, planning mill, tannery and slaughter house. For immigrant families, however, it was home. Three houses were identified on the 1861 village map, and one of those belonged to the Boyd family. It appears, from the information available, that this home is now 124 State Street. 

Thomas C. and Mary Williamson Boyd, both Irish natives, arrived here after the birth of their daughter Mary, who was born in Canada about 1850. Neither of Thomas’ or Mary’s parentage could be identified. They were part of the Irish exodus fleeing years of dire famine; families who first arrived in Canada, then immigrated to the United States and settled in Brockport. The family consisted of, it’s believed, five children: Andrew, Robert, Ellen, Anna and Mary. In 1864, a Robert Boyd, “boarding” with Thomas Boyd, was employed as a butcher. Robert, the butcher, could have been a brother of Thomas or was a single, employed son living with his parents. After 1864, the whereabouts of Thomas and most of his family couldn’t be located. 

Of son Andrew, however, we know more. In August of 1862, Andrew, who lived in this home with his parents, enlisted for a three years as a Sergeant in Company H, 108th NY Infantry. He served in several withering battles and was wounded while in service. Steadily promoted, Boyd held the rank of Captain by the time he mustered out of service in 1865. Andrew returned to and remained in Brockport for the rest of his life. An active member and president of the Cady Post, G. A. R., he was also a Sweden Commissioner in charge of arranging for the burial and purchase of individual monuments for all of his honorably discharged comrades. He became a successful village businessman and lived on Gordon Street, a short distance from the original family home. After suffering a stroke that left him partially paralyzed in the late 1890s, Andrew passed away in 1900 and was buried in the Brockport Cemetery.


Thomas Cornes
Owner: by 1870 to before 1880 

Records for the time period when this home was owned by Thomas Cornes are of very little help in establishing a more exact account of his ownership. His family home was at 26 South Street and he never lived in this house. It was occupied by Cornes’ eldest son and family. 

Thomas Cornes, a British native and butcher, was a very early village resident. His success in business was enviable and his social and political standing matched the success of his business ventures. It was his slaughter house which occupied the land a short distance east of this house. He also owned a farm and multiple village lots. With his business success, Thomas was able to provide his sons with an education at the Brockport Collegiate Institute. They also had the opportunity to learn their father’s trade and participate in his business ventures. Charles Cornes, the first-born son and his father even shared in a patent for an improved early “refrigerator.” 

Reverend C. S. Baker married Charles and Susan Thomas, both residents of Brockport. Her ancestry is unknown. Charles and Susan had three children: Charles T., Nathaniel Morris and Mary. Charles T. had documented lung problems, possibly tuberculosis, and died as a young man. Morris remained in Brockport until his mid-thirties. Mary was married at least once, to a man named Gabe. 

Charles, during the short time period he lived in this house, was a stock buyer for his father and then, after his father’s death, a butcher with his own shop. He and Susan, unfortunately, didn’t remain together. She eventually shared a Fayette Street house with Morris. Charles, at the end of his life, lived alone and worked as a peddler. All of Thomas Cornes’ sons struggled to match his business success and none even remotely succeeded.

Charles C. and his wife are buried at Lakeview Cemetery in the Town of Sweden, together forever in death, if not in life. 


Frederick Schlosser, Jr. and Lula H. Tuttle Schlosser 
Owners: at least by 1902 to 1925 

Exactly when Fred Schlosser, Jr. purchased and moved into this house is unknown. His father, Frederick, Sr. owned the house next door by 1872, and eventually his son owned both houses. 

Frederick and Phoebe Yauchzi Schlosser were German natives. They moved to this region by 1864. Frederick and his namesake son were tavern owners. Fred, the son, was born in New York. 

A businessman his entire life, Fred Schlosser worked for or partnered with his father in running the family saloon. Later the business was described as a restaurant, so Schlosser may have transitioned from selling “wines and liquors.” An only child, he lived with his parents and didn’t marry until quite late in life. Lula H. Tuttle, the daughter of Elmer Ellsworth and Clarie Ann Ball Tuttle, lived next door. Elmer Tuttle was a long-time railroad employee. Fred and Lula married. Lula was significantly younger than her husband. Within just a few years, however, tragedy struck the couple. Lula, who had been sick, suddenly took a “turn for the worse” and died. She and Fred had no children during their marriage. 

Alone, Fred Schlosser carried on with his long life. He had no children. His parents and wife were dead. Along with his business, however, he had an abiding passion and achievement which no person, past or present, has or is likely to ever surpass. He was Chief of the Brockport Fire Department longer than any other member in its history; an astounding 24 years. 

Village residents may recall seeing an iconic photo of a uniformed man sitting ramrod straight on his horse, leading a village parade. That was Fred Schlosser, who took every occasion to ride his horse at the head of fireman’s parades. He worked tirelessly to bring many fire companies and events to the village. When a conflagration began in the Market Street piano works and threatened to spread to Main Street, Fred Schlosser organized the effort which saved every building except for the one in which the fire started, even after fire engines from Rochester failed all attempts to assist in the effort. As time passed, Fred prepared for the inevitable with a will which benefitted his place of worship, Concordia Lutheran Church, and several of his cousins. Unfortunately, the will was contested by the remainder of the cousins who didn’t receive an inheritance. Was Fred feeble-minded and unduly influenced in the making of his will? The will was upheld and Fred’s last wishes were honored. He was laid to rest beside his parents and long deceased wife in Lakeview Cemetery, Town of Sweden.


Alexander and Ida B. McConnell 
Owners: mid-1920s to 1950 

Alexander and Ida B. McConnell lived on King Street before moving to this State Street house. He was a native of Scotland and a veterinary surgeon. Neither of their ancestries could be identified. There were three McConnell children: John W., Dorothea S. and Frank. John worked as a “laster” for the Moore-Shaffer Shoe Company. He served briefly in World War I but never saw combat. John died in 1925. Dorothea S. or “Dorothy” was a secretary in a law office. Frank was the youngest of the children. His occupation is unknown. The children were grown by the time Alexander and Ida moved to State Street. McConnell was a member of the Genesee Valley Veterinary Medical Association. He served the Monroe County Humane Society by treating cruelty cases, such as mistreated canal horses. He became a naturalized citizen in 1902. Surely there are many stories to tell about this long-time village family, but this researcher could not find them. Such is the luck and limitation of research. 


Epilogue 2014 

The configuration of this early home has largely retained the simple footprint seen in maps from the 1850s, which is highly unusual, given the transforming changes seen in many houses over the years. The front porch is the exception. First seen in a 1914 map, it didn’t “wrap” around the western side of the house, as it does today, but it did stretch the entire length of the front of the house one hundred years ago. The construction, or perhaps, more accurately, the reconstruction and supporting posts of the porch are definitely modern. Time does take its toll on wooden structures. 

The outside of this house has now been clad in new siding and the large barn with the side addition, last seen in the 1914 map, has been replaced with a modern garage. Who can say how or when the barns became history? Fire and/or age took a toll on many a village barn. We are grateful that this very historic house remains standing and is a well-cared for addition to a historic street.

© Copyright by Carol L. Hannan - March 2014. All rights reserved.