Park Avenue‎ > ‎

54 Park Avenue

54 Park Avenue
Brockport, N.Y. 

History written by Carol L. Hannan, June 2014 
Photo Credit and Produced by Pamela Ketchum
© Copyright by Carol L. Hannan – June 2014. All rights reserved.


Mrs. Ferris 
Owners/builders (?): between 1858 and 1861 

The 1861 village map shows the existence of this home, which was then number six Mechanic Street, and owned by a “Mrs. Ferris.” It’s possible, but unlikely, that the house could have been built by 1858. The only known Ferris family to have lived in Brockport in the 1830s was that of Isaac Ferris, a shoemaker born in Connecticut. He indicated, on the 1855 New York State Census, that his residency in the village began seventeen years prior to the enumeration, or about 1838. Eliza Ferris, the wife of Isaac, died in 1849 and was buried in the Brockport Cemetery. 

When Isaac Ferris died in 1858, however, it wasn’t in Brockport, but in Janesville, Wisconsin. His family had moved from the village and this area, with the known exception of his son Walter A., a Hamlin farmer. Isaac is buried in the same Wisconsin cemetery as his daughter, Ellen M. Ferris Squirer (probably Squires) and son William Peck Ferris. Did Isaac leave behind a second wife when he moved to Wisconsin? Unfortunately, the answer to that question is unknown.

Almon, Elenor M. Dauchy and son Oscar Wallace 
Owners: by 1872 to about 1900 

The Dauchy family, French Hugenot refugees and prominent citizens of Ridgefield Connecticut during colonial times, came to this area to farm the land. Shortly after 1875, Almon (or Almond) Dauchy moved to Brockport from Hamlin and became first a produce, then a grain buyer. He owned a house and large lot on Mechanic Street. This lot was eventually divided and a second house was constructed for son Oscar Wallace and his family. 

Almon and Elenor Dauchy had four children: Vivus, Mary Augusta Dauchy Fielding, Oscar Wallace and Alanson T. Dauchy. Almon’s son Vivus (There were generations of Vivus’ in this family!) seems to have died young. Mary also died as a young mother and at least one of her children lived with Almon or Oscar. As for Oscar, he was a farmer his entire life. Alanson died in 1867, shortly after his marriage, and was buried in the Garland Cemetery. 

Oscar and his wife, Adelaide “Addie” Moore had four daughters: Beatrice Edna Dauchy Munger, Mrs. E. B. Covert, Helen Dauchy Shumway and Ellen Dauchy Cook. As an elderly couple, Oscar and Adelaide lived with their daughter Helen and her family on Erie Street. 

Very few contemporary reports described the Dauchy’s activities, and generally speaking, they weren’t involved in community activities. Many Dauchy family members are buried in Blossom Cemetery, which is located in Hamlin, New York. 


Jerome F. and Ida Butler Dauchy 
Owners: between 1900 and 1905 to 1912 

Jerome and Ida Dauchy lived in Brockport in several locations prior to this home. Jerome was the only child of Gustavus A. (probably Adolphus) Dauchy and his wife Emma, farmers in Hamlin, New York. Jerome and his father were almost certainly related to Almon and Oscar Dauchy, but with a connection that couldn’t be verified. Ida was the daughter of Alvinzi and Elizabeth Butler. Alvinzi was a livery keeper in Brockport.

Jerome was an undertaker in Brockport for nearly twenty-five years, until he moved to Phelps, Ontario County in 1912. He became a partner there in an undertaking business with James Kavanugh. While a village resident, Jerome was a member of the F. and A. M. Brockport Chapter and the Elk’s Lodge number 24. After Gustavus Dauchy retired from farming, he moved to Brockport to live with his son and daughter-in-law. 

Early in her marriage, Ida was a dressmaker, but for most of her married life, she didn’t work outside of her home. She and Jerome had no children. 

A mere two years after his move to Phelps, Jerome was stricken with heart disease and died several months later at age 57. His body was returned to Brockport and Jerome was buried in Lakeview Cemetery, Town of Sweden. Following her husband’s death, Ida continued to live in Phelps and cared for her father-in-law for the remainder of his life. She, too, is buried in Lakeview Cemetery.


Francis T. and Sarah A. Hovey Sparlin 
Owners: about 1912 to mid-1920s 

Francis “Frank” Sparlin, son of early settler and farmer Alson Sparlin and his wife Cynthia Tyler Sparlin, was a farmer, like the father he never knew. Alson, Senior died young, leaving his widow to raise her family with the help of her father, with whom she and her children resided after her husband’s death. Likewise, Sarah Hovey was the daughter of early settlers. Ebenezer and Nancy A. Treat Hovey lived on several local farms, bought and sold at a profit that eventually made Ebenezer a very well-off man. The Treat family, of colonial Connecticut roots, included a governor and Revolutionary War patriot. 

“Frank” and Sarah had two children: Emma Ella Sparlin Odell and Ezra Merton Sparlin. Ezra Sparlin took advantage of educational opportunities available to him and graduated from Brockport Normal and the University of Rochester in 1885. He later earned a doctorate and became a principal of School # 9 in Rochester. Ezra’s application to the Sons of the American Revolution documented his maternal roots. 

Frank Sparlin owned not only his house in the village, but a 180 acre farm, which provided his livelihood. He was elected assessor repeatedly and served in that position for many years. He and his wife are buried at Beachridge Cemetery, Town of Sweden.


Richard Elias and Margaret Harmon Garrison, Junior
Owners: mid-1920s to 1930s 

Richard Elias Garrison was the son and namesake of the first Richard Elias, who owned a farm of over 100 acres at the corner of Edmunds and Redman Roads in Clarkson, called “The Maples.” Richard, Junior owned an adjoining farm of almost 60 acres. Richard, the father married very well. His wife was Sophronia Mann, the daughter of Brockport physician Dr. William B. Mann. Not to be outdone by his father’s illustrious matrimonial connections, Richard, Junior married Margaret Harmon, the daughter of generations of successful Brockport businessmen and sister of long-time village mayor George B. Harmon, himself a Park Avenue resident. 

Richard and Margaret had two children: Fanny Scranton and Herbert Harmon Garrison. Fanny attended Brockport Normal and was awarded the Coakley Scholarship to Vassar College from which she graduated in 1940. She married John F. Willson. Herbert entered Yale and enlisted in the Marine Corps during World War II. When he married Elizabeth Murphy, his father served as his best man. Neither of the Garrison children remained in Brockport. 

Richard Garrison was an active member and President of the Brockport Union Agricultural Society in 1914, during the time when its yearly fair was an enormous county attraction. Margaret was involved in “society” endeavors, working with other well-known residents, such as Mary J. Holmes, for example, as a “patroness” of the 1901 Brockport Normal Arethusa and Gamma Sigma ball. The family attended services at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church. 

Sadly, Margaret passed away at her home before her fiftieth birthday. She was buried in Lakeview Cemetery, Town of Sweden. Richard moved to a home on Monroe Avenue. Upon his death, he, too was buried in the Garrison family plot at Lakeview Cemetery.


Epilogue 2014 

This home, which had at least two additions before 1902, has had a more recent renovation, which removed asbestos siding to reveal, once more, the original clapboards and their details. A barn, which was built between 1872 and 1902, has been taken down. Additional information on the previous owners of the property can be found in the history of 58 Park Avenue. The home today is an owner occupied double with a rental unit.

© Copyright by Carol L. Hannan - June 2014. All rights reserved.